Shop.ashmolean.org (“our site”) is operated by the University of Oxford.
Types of data we collect about you
Personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data). We will collect, store, and use the following categories of personal data when you use our site:
Data you give us.
You may give us data about you including your:
• postal address;
• email address;
• telephone number;
• credit card or payment information.
Data we collect about you.
• If you visit our site, we will automatically collect certain technical information, for example, the type of device (and its unique device identifier) you use to access our site, the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your device to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system, mobile network information and platform.
• We will automatically collect information about your visit to our site including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL), clickstream to, through and from the Website (including date and time), pages you viewed, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page.
When we collect your data
We will collect the vast majority of personal data about you when you correspond with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise, search for a product or place an order on our site.
When you visit our site we may also automatically collect technical information about your visit from your computer.
How we use your data
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal information in the following circumstances:
• Where we need to perform the contract we have entered into with you, such as to supply the products you have purchased from us. Information processed for this purpose includes, but is not limited to your name, address and payment information.
• Where we have a legitimate interest to do so, for example to ensure that we understand who uses our site and how our site is used and to improve our site and ensure it is secure. Information processed for this purpose includes, but is not limited to technical information we collect about your visit form your computer.
• With your consent, such as to provide marketing communications. Where consent is required for our use of your personal data, by ticking the appropriate consent box or otherwise communicating your consent (for example, by email or by providing us with non-mandatory information), you consent to our use of that personal data as set out in this policy. You can always withdraw your consent and we will stop any processing of your personal data we are doing with your consent. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before your withdrawal of consent and you may no longer be able to use the site in the same way you did before.
We will only use your personal information for the purposes for which we collected it, unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose. If we need to use your personal information for an unrelated purpose, we will notify you and we will explain the legal basis which allows us to do so.
Please note that we may process your personal information without your knowledge or consent, in compliance with the above rules, where this is required or permitted by law.
Sharing your data
We may share your personal data with third parties who provide services on our behalf, such as for administrative purposes. Where information is shared with third parties, we will seek to share the minimum amount of information necessary to fulfil the purpose.
Where we store your personal data
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of data transmitted to the website and any transmission is at your own risk.
Third party websites
Our site contains links to and from various third party websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Retaining your personal data
We will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
• Request access to your personal information (commonly known as a "data subject access request"). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
• Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
• Request erasure of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
• Object to processing of your personal information where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
• Request the restriction of processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal information about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
• Request the transfer of your personal information to another party.
If you want to review, verify, correct or request erasure of your personal information, object to the processing of your personal data, or request that we transfer a copy of your personal information to another party, please contact email@example.com.
Depending on the circumstances and the nature of your request it may not be possible for us to do what you have asked, for example, where there is a statutory or contractual requirement for us to process your data and it would not be possible to fulfil our legal obligations if we were to stop. However, where you have consented to the processing (for example where you have asked us to contact you for marketing purposes) you can withdraw your consent at any time. If you choose to withdraw consent it will not invalidate past processing and it may impact our ability to provide particular additional services to you.
If you are not happy with the way that we have handled your personal data, please contact us. You also have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Changes to this policy